USP Hospitales' commitment to its patients is not only focused on providing healthcare: it also has a vocation to conduct research and to train the professionals in all of its centres.
A clear example of this commitment to research is the significant scientific output of USP professionals, both in basic and clinical research in many different branches of knowledge.
• USP San Jaime (Torrevieja) has an Oncology Platform-Fundación Tedeca which has set up a Centre for Excellence in Researching in the area of Oncology. The centre specialises in developing and applying new diagnostic-therapeutic techniques for cancer. The Oncology Platform has two distinguishing features, making it unique and earning it a position of excellence in the Spanish healthcare system. These are:
- The comprehensive nature of care, both in outpatient and hospital facilities.
- The application of new methods and strategies on an individual basis.
Thus the centre has an approach that brings together patient preferences and specific tumour characteristics, allowing maximum levels of personal service and care.
• USP Dexeus Institute has been an affiliated centre of Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) since 1989. This relationship was renewed in 2009 in an agreement by which USP Dexeus Institute maintains its status of University Research Institute, particularly for the branches of:
- Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- Preventative Medicine
- Public Health
- Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine
- Special Surgery
- Diagnostic Imaging
Internal medicine and minimally invasive therapeutic and diagnostic methods are also important specialties.